ESTABLISHING YOUR PROCESS
“Focus and subject yourself to ‘the process’. Results are incidental.”
“Water the seed, and the plant will emerge.”
I hope you found yesterday’s challenge as useful as I did. Today, I would like us to take things to the next level. Building on the opening statement; “Focus and subject yourself to ‘the process’. Results are incidental.” I want to highlight the importance of process. Notice that I say we need to focus on the process… results are incidental. Let me illustrate it this way. When the maize seed is subjected to the right process, you are guaranteed of getting cobs at the end. Therefore, without the right process, you can never get the results. Who we become is much more important than what we achieve.
A lot of times we get caught up in the excitement of simply stating what we choose to be. With the choices we make of becoming something specific, we must appreciate that that will come at a cost and our willingness to do what the majority are unwilling to do is what truly sets us apart. You see, mediocrity is as common as gravel. But you are not mediocre, You Are Exceptional…you are rare and that is why you took this challenge.
Some of you graciously shared your goals in yesterday’s challenge which are quite inspiring. Building the process that will lead you there is the next major step. The question that we are essentially asking today is; what will it take to become the kind of person that you said you want to become? This is the question that allows you to establish the process that you need to subject yourself to so that you get the results you want.
Here is the thing we must settle; it is possible to become what you say you want to become. That is no matter to argue over; it’s a given. It’s possible “to be a great husband and father”; which is the desire of one of the contributors. It’s possible to pioneer a mindset change in Zambia. And yes it is possible to grow into a fashion designer. So what can you do on a daily basis to become the person of your choosing? For instance, I am constantly reading a good book. This helps me develop my writing skills.
Let me ask that you list 3 people who inspire you in a particular area of interest; one in which you want to grow to be like them.
- As a writer and speaker: ANDY ANDREWS
- As a husband and father: WALKER SCHURZ
- As a leader: JOHN C. MAXWELL
KINDLY DO THIS IN YOUR JOURNAL.
Make a list of three (3) people who inspire you in the areas you listed in yesterday’s challenge. If you don’t know of any, search for someone whose life is inspiring in that area. Having listed who inspires you; what materials of theirs do you feed upon? Remember, armed with your pen and your journal; make that list. Here are my examples:
|ASPIRATIONS||PEOPLE WHO INSPIRE ME||RESOURCES THAT HELP ME GROW|
|1||As a writer and speaker||Andy Andrews||Books, articles, podcasts, videos|
|2||As a husband and father||Walker Schurz||Teachings, audio cd’s|
|3||As a leader||John C. Maxwell||Books, blogs…|
Other things that I have personally discovered are an important part of the processes that help us become the person of our choosing;
- The company we keep: You must be deliberate about the kind of people that are influencing your thinking. Find people that are operating at a higher level than you and build relationships with them. If you spend most time with people who are content with business as usual; who desire no growth, you will level down soon enough and become like them. So find yourself some friends that are bent on doing great things. I have often said that we become as smart or as stupid as the people we spend most time with. At some point, we either rise or fall to the level of those with whom we spend most of our time.
- The information you consume: With access to so much information, you can deliberately set yourself up to search for knowledge that will help you function effectively. Structure your life in such a way that you will make time to read, listen to audios, watch videos that build you in the area of your choosing.
What is it that you can do daily that will make you become that person you have decided to become?
Block off some time in your day to learn and grow into that man or woman. I highly recommend that you do that in the early hours of your day’s start when you are fresh.
As is our custom; jot down your answers to the following: you can replace the aspirations with your own as I picked these as mere examples.
- For you that wants to be a great father and husband; who do you/can know that is like that? How can you learn from them?
- For the fashion designer; who do you look up to in that field? What is it that they do that you should do to become as good?
- And the pioneer of mindset change in Zambia… who do you know that is effectively transforming mindsets and how can you learn from them?
These questions will help you build your process. Here is what your journal should look like at the end of this;
- Names of people who inspire you: 1 in each area you listed. Identify someone who already is what you are aspiring to be.
- Materials you will read, listen to and watch to gather knowledge in those areas. If you could read three books in your area of interest; one each month, what would they be? Make a list.
If you can, get their picture or a picture of anything that inspires you in a particular area and frame it nicely if you can then place it somewhere where you can see it consistently. This will keep you inspired.
For every area you listed in yesterday’s challenge, identify someone that you can learn from. Let them be your guide and teacher through there materials. If they don’t have anything they have produced, learn how they became who they are and feed on what they feed on.
Here is our challenge: list three objects that inspire you: it could be a picture of that man/woman you want to be like. Print it out or cut it out of a magazine and “stick” it where you can see it frequently. Bring it in your line of sight. Remember, little adjustments can have tremendous effects. Establish your process. Mine includes all the things I have been highlighting; reading, watching, listening e.t.c
In the comments section, kindly highlight what your process of becoming the person of your choosing includes: This will inspire us to learn from you as well. Look out for Day 3.